We've Made The Offer

July 16, 2013

It’s not often that one sets off in the morning to make an offer on a million-pound house - with less than two percent of the money in hand! Yet, on this momentous morning, faith levels were high in the Henman household (where we stayed overnight) - we breakfasted, we sang, we laughed, we prayed, we set off in high spirits, ‘rejoicing like a strong man to run a race’. We were quite pleased with ourselves when we arrived precisely on time - only to realise that in our overenthusiastic punctuality we were half an hour early! So we hovered outside the door, praying, until the owner invited us in. A few minutes later, the estate agent from TuckerGardner arrived. As we waited for our team-mate (who had gotten providentially lost) we got to spend some time with the estate agent and the owner. We sat around a round table, family-style, and exchanged stories. God had arranged the situation beautifully.

By the time we got to the ‘business’ part of the meeting, we all felt like we were friends. Peter (Prescott!) started by explaining a little bit about how YWAM operates (voluntary, faith-based, decentralised) and then the story of how we arrived at that point (the first miraculous thousand-pound gift confirming God’s word about a community house, the many sacrificial yet joy-filled gifts that followed) and then made the offer. Our offer was, in essence, an invitation to the owner to join us in this faith journey over the next year. We were watching his reaction with some trepidation, not wanting him to be offended by our audacity/faith, but he seemed open, and even cheerful! The estate agent mentioned that our ‘offer’ wasn’t exactly what he’d been expecting, but he faithfully took down the details, and they promised to confer and get back to us soon.

Thank you for praying! The meeting went off smoothly and amiably, the response of the owner and estate agent was encouragingly positive, and we came away rejoicing at the faithfulness of God. He sees the details as well as the big picture. Now we wait for the owner’s final answer, and we put our hope in the Lord! And in the meantime, we fly tomorrow morning to the USA! To celebrate the wedding of Peter’s younger brother Michael on the 27th. What a privilege it is to follow the King of the Nations!

With gratitude, (Peter &) Taryn